A self management tool for pain, stress and illness that doesn’t cost the earth.
Breathworks specialises in helping people to:
- reduce work related stress and the impact it has on health
- self-manage any health condition(s) they may have
- reduce the suffering associated with their health condition(s)
- return to work after periods of sickness
- transition back into activity, creativity and productivity.
We also help people to:
- stay at work with greater resilience and better self awareness
- return to work happily, willingly and voluntarily
Last year alone, UK businesses lost over £36 billion due to absences in the workforce. Yet this statistic only tells a fraction of the story. The cost of lower productivity stemming from employees who attend work even when ill (known as presenteeism) could be up to three times higher.
Occupational pressures are believed responsible for:
- 30% of workers suffering from back pain
- 28% complaining of “stress”
- 20% feeling fatigued
- 13% with headaches
The latest estimates from the Labour Force Survey (LFS) show:
- The total number of cases of stress in 2011/12 was 428,000 (40%) out of a total of 1,073,000 for all work-related illnesses.
- The estimated cases of work-related stress have remained broadly flat over the past decade.
Facts from the HSE (Health & Safety Executive):
- In 2007/2008 13.5 million working days were lost due to 'stress, depression and anxiety'.
- An average of 28.5 days were taken off for each case.
- Up to 1/2 million people in the UK have work related stress often resulting in illness.
- Up to 5 million people in the UK are 'very' or 'extremely' stressed through work.
- 'Stress, depression and anxiety' are the second most commonly reported work related illnesses.
- The first is 'musculoskeletal disorders'.
The following sectors showed high prevalence of self reported illness due to work.
- Health & Social work
- Public administration & Defence
Repetitive strain injury (RSI), musculoskeletal and other work related stresses are on the increase. In the UK:
- 25% of absenteeism is due to stress.
- 30% is due to back problems.
Benefits of Mindfulness for Organisations
The benefits of mindfulness in managing pain, stress and illness - enhancing concentration, happiness and supporting greater productivity - have been researched for over three decades in a wide range of studies. Mindfulness is also proved to be effective in occupational health and safety management.
Benefits of Mindfulness in the Workplace
Today many organisations are finding that mindfulness skills play an important role in:
- Improved health and well-being
- Reduced sickness, absenteeism and employee turnover
- Greater leadership and team effectiveness
- Employee resilience
- Higher levels of motivation & engagement
- Increased attention and concentration
- Better decision making capabilities
- Higher levels of creativity and innovation
- Increased job satisfaction
- Relationship and team building
Relationship and team building
People often report that despite the management courses and personal development training they have undertaken, their self awareness evaporates just when they need it most, namely when they are stressed.
When we are stressed and under pressure, our coping mechanisms can give rise to a chain of destructive and automatic reactions which negatively impact upon our ability to create and maintain effective relationships, access our creativity and achieve our potential. This, in turn, leads to increased stress levels...and the cycle continues.
Long term stress increases our risk of depression, breakdown & illness which not only affects the health & well-being of the individuals concerned but quite significantly their organisations too.
When we bring mindfulness into our work, lives and relationships, we are learning to acknowledge what is going on for us in each moment – noticing the activity of our mind, body and emotions and developing the emotional resilience and awareness to respond to potential stress triggers in ways that are non-reactive and more skilful.
At Breathworks, we believe that one of the most important factors in supporting the health and well-being of the people who work for you, is to attend to their emotional and psychological well-being.
When an employee feels that their organisation truly cares it has a profound impact upon their emotional engagement, motivation, collaboration and productivity. When an employee feels valued, acknowledged, respected, appreciated and supported to effectively manage the stress of the workplace, then the entire organisation will benefit.
Breathworks delivers a range of mindfulness programmes to both private and public sector organisations. Our programmes are well-structured with a proven record of success, appreciation and can be evaluated using outcome measures that have been established as reliable, valid and sensitive to change.
Our team of very experienced teachers and trainers in mindfulness also have a range of additional expertise in applying mindfulness in a variety of professional contexts.
Breathworks specialises in applying mindfulness methods to pain, illness and stress. As one often leads to the other in a vicious downward spiral, our mindfulness approaches have helped thousands of people find the tools they need to prevent this destructive cycle taking over their lives.
Please complete the contact form below or call us on 0161 8341110
If you can't see the form below please click here to redirect to it.